Where are we at?

Re: Where are we at?

Postby B34VD » Fri May 23, 2014 3:01 pm

Hello folks, I hope this post finds everyone well. I'm a little late to the party since I couldn't find my log in info. You gentlemen are well ahead of me. I got so many irons in the fire right now I haven't even had a chance to look at mine. :sob: Sounds like everyone hit their marks and assembly was done with a minimum of "fitting"
B34VD

Postby pjf134 » Sat May 24, 2014 9:56 pm

You guys are making me look bad. I did get some 1" dia. brass because I did need it to make some bushings for the guy next door to fix his tractor. Today I put together my new grill and ran out of daylight because I had to cut grass first. I have been busy with my chainsaw and splitter and have to finish stacking so I can get some more to do. Next weekend I have a gun bash on Sat. and am teaching a class on Sunday. I do wonder when I did find the time to do all these things before I retired. The brass is in the lathe with one side faced off. I am almost caught up reloading shells so soon I hope to get this project done.
Paul
pjf134

Postby ScrapMetal » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:22 pm

Glad to see you guys are at least awake out there. ;) I'll look forward to seeing yours come together as well.

On that note, I've got mine put together now. I had some problems with the flywheel and getting it on to the shaft. First effort at 400° F but it galled up on me about half way in. :sob: I did get it back off and just reamed out the hole a bit. Sounds easy but the process was ugly. :oops:

As it sits now:

Now I just need to make a nipple to attach an air hose to. From the feel of it I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to be able to match Mike's 2psi operating pressure. He just does too nice of job.

I'll keep checking back to see how you guys are progressing and I'll try and take a few pics of the "nipple" build. ;)

It's been a long time coming, glad to see it finally bearing fruit.

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby pjf134 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:38 pm

I did get some time to work on the engine today finnally. I added some pics as how I did some drilling. It was 90 deg. and 70 deg. dew point, so shop time was not to long. I did slap it together for a pic as it stands now. I do have some 1" brass to do the cap left over from another job, just have to cut a piece off and fit it on the cylinder and get some more screws for it.
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pjf134

Postby ScrapMetal » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:06 pm

Looking good! :thumbup: Finding the right screws, for me, was a bit of a pain. There are a couple of hardware stores that I can check but if they don't carry it I have to order from McMasters or some other place. I suppose I could have made them but with screws that size it probably would have been the death of me. ;)

Looking forward to seeing it come to life,

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:49 pm

Have you tried hobby shops? They tend to carry small screws for model-making.
Mike
Hawkeye

Postby pjf134 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:07 pm

A hardware store near me carries the 2-56 screws, but I made the cover for the cylinder for 1/4" long screws and the store only had 3/16" or 1", so I got the 1" and plan to cut them. I have been out of town for a few days and plan to work on it in a few days once I catch up with some other stuff.
Paul
pjf134

Postby ScrapMetal » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:12 am

Hawkeye wrote:Have you tried hobby shops? They tend to carry small screws for model-making.

That's not a bad thought. There is a huge lack of that type of hobby store in my area. I don't understand it either. I remember a time when there were hobby shops all over town but sadly they are gone.

I blame computer games, x-box, etc.

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Previous

Return to SOSE Build progress