Brought a new toy home - Wells-Index 860

Re: Brought a new toy home - Wells-Index 860

Postby ScrapMetal » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:09 am

rleete wrote:Pulling wires is a huge pain in the butt. Wiring in general is as well, but that's about the worst part.

I agree with that whole-heartedly! The trials and tribulations of this pull were enough to provide plenty of internet reading but who wants to read five pages of swear words? This one was made a bit hairier as I was unable to disconnect the power from the panel in the equipment room of the office building as there are tenants that depend on the power to up during the day/around the clock.

Needless to say I was extremely careful at all times but... Okay, after six hours of prep, running back and forth, starting and restarting the pull a few times, etc. I was getting pretty "wiped" and during an "enthusiastic" bit of pull did not keep track of where the metal fish tape was. A quick arc of light let me know at once and about six inches of the fish tape was bright red and very droopy - talk about an instant annealling operation! My precautions paid off at this point as I was not grounded in any way, shape, or form. At that point I figured I was too tired (after the adrenaline rush wore off) and left the job for the next day. After sleeping on it, I changed how I was going about the whole operation and things went very smoothly but still a p.i.t.a. The new approach cost me an extra couple of hundred dollars but it is completed.

I'm expecting to apply power to the mill this weekend at the very latest.

Expect to see a post to that effect. 8-) :mrgreen:

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby ScrapMetal » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:47 am

Yesterday I had a little time so I finished up wiring the 3-phase outlet for the mill:

Then, earlier today I re-wired the motors to handle 208-230v.

All was ready so I flipped the switches and, "It's ALIVE!". Ran the motors forward and backwards to make sure nothing was set up wrong. Time for the "fun" to begin!

Well, almost. I still need to get a couple of things before I start to make chips. I need the proper oils for the machine as well as a couple of "T"-bolts to bolt down the Kurt vise and probably some kind of coolant to spray on some of the larger cuts. Oh, and a DRO setup (I know it's not "necessary" but it would make life much easier. ;) ). I'll definitely be making swarf before I get a DRO lined up.

Woohoo!

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby Turbinedoctor » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:45 am

Glad to see all your hard work paid off. Wish I could have been there to help with the wire pull. Done lots of larger pulls then that but we had the equipment to do it with. How is your DRO's coming along?
Durwood
Turbinedoctor

Postby starlight_tools » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:38 pm

Awesome news Ron, had missed out on the rest of the action as was cut short from talking to you on that other forum.

Glad it all worked out.

Walter
starlight_tools

Postby ScrapMetal » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:31 pm

Thanks Walter. Good to see you here.

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin