Tee Slot Cutters

Re: Tee Slot Cutters

Postby Turbinedoctor » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:30 am

I got the stager tooth cutter and used it on a picatinny rail holder. It works very well even with out lube.
Durwood
Turbinedoctor

Postby ScrapMetal » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:29 pm

When cutting a T-slot, I assume the first thing you do is cut a channel to the width of the top of the final slot and to the proper depth. Now, do you just put the T-slot cutter in the mill and just power hog out the wide channel at the bottom? That seems like you would be taking out an awful lot of metal at once. On my WI the slots are 11/16" and the wide channel at the bottom is 1 1/4" and 1/2" tall. That would mean you are hogging out two channels on either side of the center channel measuring 9/32" x 1/2" at the same time? :shock: On top of that the cutter would be performing two different types of cut at the same time, one "normal" feed and one "climbing".

Wow, is that correct?

Maybe I'm just too used to taking 0.05" "bites" with my lathe :roll:

Thanks,

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby rleete » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:45 am

That's about how it goes. Lots of lubrication and very slow feeds. Obviously you're not going to be cutting slots for a Bridgport on a minimill.
Homier Speedway 7x14 lathe
Grizzly G8689 Mini Mill
HF 4x6 Bandsaw, bench grinder and more
Years of experience wrecking things
rleete

Postby ScrapMetal » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:58 pm

rleete wrote:That's about how it goes. Lots of lubrication and very slow feeds. Obviously you're not going to be cutting slots for a Bridgport on a minimill.

On anything that's still some serious cutting. I'm going to look at T-slot cutters with a lot more respect now.

Thanks,

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Milling Machines