Where are we at?

Re: Where are we at?

Postby rleete » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:18 am

I wanna see some pics! Surely at least one of you has a camera?
Homier Speedway 7x14 lathe
Grizzly G8689 Mini Mill
HF 4x6 Bandsaw, bench grinder and more
Years of experience wrecking things
rleete

Postby ScrapMetal » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:02 pm

4R8 wrote:Thanks guys, it means a lot!

I've been trying to get this position for a while, I can finally make a few changes and implement some new ways of thinking. To do so though is going to be a lot of work. The end result however will make my particular workplace alot safer and much more enjoyable.

Providing i don't get any bad weather over the next two days, I'll be home Wednesday arvo and aim to send out the pistons by friday (it's Monday @ 2100hrs here now and I've just finished work, started at 0530hrs).
David had sent me his address, either by PM or on the HM build thread, either way, I cannot access it. Do you have it Ron?

Thanks again guys!

Sounds like you'll be "making some waves". Just remember that old codgers like me don't always take to well to change, especially if you have a better way of doing things. In other words, watch your step and try to bring everyone along for the ride instead of just pissing them off (that's my specialty, the "pissing them off" part anyway ;) ). Hope the best for you. (I really need to add a "thumbs up" icon.)

As for David, I sent out an e-mail a few days ago but haven't heard anything back as of yet. Unfortunately I don't have any info on him other than his e-mail but at least by the time you've read this I'll have sent out another one to him under a different address (never know if my first message got caught in a mail filter).

You'll be the first to know when I hear back from him.

rleete wrote:I wanna see some pics! Surely at least one of you has a camera?

I'll work on getting some pics, give me a day or so. Sheesh, kids these days... :mrgreen:

-Ron

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby B34VD » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:53 pm

rleete wrote:I wanna see some pics! Surely at least one of you has a camera?

I did pics at the other site. Anyway, everthing is wrapped and ready to go.
B34VD

Postby ScrapMetal » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:54 pm

As promised, here's a pic of what I've been working on:

Yes, I know I only needed to make eight. :roll: :D These are the "final" run that I am content (sort of) with. I made extras because I had the material already set up in the chuck and figured they might just come in handy. I'll only drill out eight of them for the piston pins and leave the others in "reserve". To tell the truth I've got a pile of 'em that I wasn't quite happy with. I haven't gone back and counted but I've probably got about twenty-five or so of these big thick SS washers sitting around. ;) Some of the less nice ones will be used to test out the drilling of the piston pin holes.

Still haven't heard from David U. or JGedde,

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby B34VD » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:29 pm

Pic of the first plate I made. The holes are correct on the rest of them but you get the idea of what they will look like. Also the finish is better. Learned a lot about using a surface grinder on this little project.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B34VD

Postby B34VD » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:31 pm

Sorry about the big pic. I guess I need to learn to resize them. :mrgreen:
B34VD

Postby ScrapMetal » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:28 pm

Size of the pic doesn't bother me any. The finish on that one looks great. I can hardly wait to see what you say is "better". Surface grinders are kind of an enigma to me as I know almost nothing about them let alone how to properly use one. I can see somewhere in the future where I'll build up enough excuses to go get one though. :mrgreen:

As you say you've learned a bunch about working with a surface grinder, I've learned a number of things about using my SB lathe. It might not look like much to some but this project has been great in that respect as far as I'm concerned.

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby Turbinedoctor » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:25 am

Great looking plate cant wait to see it in person. Wish my frames looked that good.

Durwood
Durwood
Turbinedoctor

Postby ScrapMetal » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:46 am

I spent the afternoon trying to get the discs a little closer to being finalized. Here is what I learned today, cheap, crappy drill bits really, really suck! :evil: I was using a #31 drill bit to put the piston-pin holes in and the dang thing kept trying to walk on me. Then, after they were drilled I checked the holes and they measured out larger than they should. Crap! I think that they will still work just fine but I hate it when something like this happens. All that I can think that may have happened (I'm not an expert on this stuff so take it as a wild guess) is that the drill wasn't cutting straight in the hole setting up a kind of oscillation that made the holes larger than they should have been - again, just guessing.

I still need to polish them up a bit and get the dychem off the backs before I'm ready to ship them but here they are in all their glory... :D

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby Turbinedoctor » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:57 pm

Did you center punch them before you drilled? I have a new index of the cheap bits too and they do wonder but I found that if I run them throught the Drill DR before I use them they are much better. Ever looked at the working end of one real close with a magnifying glass before sharpened. The points are off to one side.

Drill DR was a good investment for me, even though I try to sharpen bits that are smaller than reccomended.
Durwood
Turbinedoctor

PreviousNext

Return to SOSE Build progress