Where are we at?

Re: Where are we at?

Postby jgedde » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:48 pm

I got a surprise today! A shipment of SOSE parts!

Anyone have the plans? I've long since misplaced them.

Thanks!
John
jgedde

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:55 pm

Here they are, John.

SOSE.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
Hawkeye

Postby ScrapMetal » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:02 pm

jgedde wrote:I got a surprise today! A shipment of SOSE parts!

Anyone have the plans? I've long since misplaced them.

Thanks!
John

Good point! "Plans? We don't need no stinkin' plans..." :mrgreen: Sorry, my strange sense of humor. ;) I just posted the set of plans I have on this link: http://www.arcaneiron.com/machines/SOSEbuild.pdf

My server has been a little "funny" about allowing large file downloads but I think this one will pass. I'll be trouble shooting it as you read this.

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby pjf134 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:41 pm

Ron,
Got the package today in fine shape, good packing job. I did try to slip together the parts and they were too tight, but the parts were cold, so will have at it another day. I do like the parts tight and finish them when all the parts are here or is that the way we planed it? I do have a lot going on now so will get to it when I can. The warm weather is here so the mowers have to be serviced and I can go to the rifle range without getting cold to try some loads out before loading a lot up.
Paul
pjf134

Postby ScrapMetal » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:26 pm

pjf134 wrote:Ron,
Got the package today in fine shape, good packing job. I did try to slip together the parts and they were too tight, but the parts were cold, so will have at it another day. I do like the parts tight and finish them when all the parts are here or is that the way we planed it? I do have a lot going on now so will get to it when I can. The warm weather is here so the mowers have to be serviced and I can go to the rifle range without getting cold to try some loads out before loading a lot up.
Paul

Paul,

Some of the parts were done that way on purpose. The pistons won't slide in the cylinders until they are reamed/honed to size. There are also some holes to drill in the cylinders as well as the pistons. Being as the parts were made in different places it was impossible to get the tolerances "dead on" so some details were left to be hand fitted by the person putting the "kits" together.

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby pjf134 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:21 pm

Ron,
Thanks for the info and that is what I thought it was or should be. I do remember that we talked about locktight too at one point.
Paul
pjf134

Postby ScrapMetal » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:01 pm

I maybe did something right?! Quick! Alert the wife! ;) :mrgreen:

This is where I am hoping to see posts about how everyone goes about finishing the kits. I figure that there will be a number of different approaches to it and all should be interesting.

FWIW - I also think I fixed the issue with the file download. The SOSE build plans download for me anyway. :chinthink:

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby Hawkeye » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:40 pm

My kit is waiting at the post office. I'll be going into town tomorrow. Looking forward to unpacking it.
Mike
Hawkeye

Postby ScrapMetal » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:13 pm

That's good to hear. I'm a little surprised that it got to you so quickly. I did make an effort to mark it so that it would make it through customs easier and without any kind of fees (in theory anyway).

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe that we've heard back from everyone but 4R8 (Jason) and B34VD (William). I'm pretty sure that William would have received his package by now so let's hope everything is okay on his end. Jason, I'm not real surprised as his had to cross the Pacific. On top of that I believe there was a very large tropical storm/hurricane type disturbance in his part of the Pacific. Also I am under the impression that his work takes him away from home for lengthy amounts of time. We hope to hear from them both soon though.

As we don't know the situation of the last two builders there is probably little reason to wait any longer. If you were waiting, feel free to work on the final phase of your builds! :thumbup:

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby Hawkeye » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:06 pm

I got the bearing fitted this afternoon, so I'll pass on a couple of tips. Keep in mind that the bearing itself is sintered bronze. If you try to force it onto the hole, it will break. I chucked mine in the 3-jaw, holding it by the steel part. Then, a bit of action with a lathe file (smooth on the sides) took it down just enough to pop into the hole in the upright, and still be able to pop out for adjustments. You want it touching all around, to add strength to the bearing.

The bolt holes didn't quite line up, so I worked at them a bit with a needle file and the #2-56 screws went right in.
Mike
Hawkeye

PreviousNext

Return to SOSE Build progress