Where are we at?

Re: Where are we at?

Postby ScrapMetal » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:48 pm

Damn, rleete, those rabies shots hurt! Glad that you had a great time at Disney but it sounds like you should have stayed there. ;)

I can identify with the 'puter problems as well. My main computer took a dump just before we left to go skiing. I ordered parts to make a new one while I was on our trip and am waiting for the UPS truck to drop off my parts so I can start building it. In the meantime I had to upgrade the kids' computer just so I have computer/internet access for the wife and myself. It's been a real p.i.t.a.!

Glad to hear you're back and relatively whole though. ;) Don't go and touch the mill/lathe until that "dark cloud" passes.

-Ron :)
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby rleete » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:01 am

So I had heard. I worried all day, and went in for the shots at 4:00. Shot in the arm (first dose of the vaccine) was nearly painless. I thought, "that wasn't so bad". Then the doc brought out this needle the size of a toothpick, and 4 inches long. I kid you not; this thing was huge. That was the one to go into my hand.

12 ml, which is a lot. About 4/10 of a shot glass, or almost 3/4 cubic inches. In the back of the hand. The stuff was cold and thick, and it felt like liquid fire going in. I clenched my teeth, and said I was okay, and he did it again. And a third time. About this time I experienced a "Vasovagal attack" which is a fancy way of saying I nearly passed out from the pain.

Trust me when I say that these hurt like hell. I've had severe kidney stones, and while they are certainly no picnic, I never passed out from the pain.

Computer is almost back to normal, and as soon as the swelling goes down I'll finish those caps.
Homier Speedway 7x14 lathe
Grizzly G8689 Mini Mill
HF 4x6 Bandsaw, bench grinder and more
Years of experience wrecking things
rleete

Postby ScrapMetal » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:33 pm

The description of the process alone is chilling, OUCH! As I understand it, at least the way it used to be, you are required to undergo a series of those shots. Is it still that way? If so, the anticipation itself would probably have me vapor locked.

I feel for you,

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby rleete » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:29 pm

It's still a series, but it's 4 shots in the arm. I went in for the second yesterday - very unusual to see your doc in a t-shirt and jeans! - and it was nothing but a simple shot. Over in seconds, and no marks or ill effects.

Swelling in the hand has all but gone, so I should be back to it soon.
Grizzly G8689 Mini Mill
rleete

Postby ScrapMetal » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:44 pm

Rleete, how are things going?

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby rleete » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:13 am

My appologies. I know i've been taking too long. I'll try to get them knockede out this week.
Grizzly G8689 Mini Mill
rleete

Postby ScrapMetal » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:01 pm

That'd be great but I was hoping to hear you were doing well. Since you're up for some work I'll take that as a "Yep". ;)

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby rleete » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:05 am

Well, polishing has been an experience. Not sure if it's me, the material or my equipment, but I can't seem to get the finish I want.
Polishing leaves minor scratching. Very fine, only visible if you catch the light off the surface just right, but it's bugging me. I'm going to keep at it until I get it the way I think it should be.
I want a mirror finish that looks like it was done right.

Once again, I apologize for taking so long.
Grizzly G8689 Mini Mill
rleete

Postby ScrapMetal » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:13 pm

You came in to the build a little late. Some of the rest of us weren't always "Johny on the spot" either. :mrgreen: I've got to admit though, the wife is getting a bit, shall we say, "peckish" about the pile of parts sitting on the window seat waiting to ship out. ;) I personally have much less animosity towards piles of "parts" and tools. :D

I look forward to seeing what you have for us Rleete,

Thanks,

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby ScrapMetal » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:34 am

How's it going Rleete? Still having problems? Maybe we (by "we" I mean someone who knows more than me ;) ) can give some helpful advice.

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to SOSE Build progress