Where are we at?

Re: Where are we at?

Postby rleete » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:11 am

When trying to hit a size with a drill, you have to step drill it. Spot with a center drill, and then drill through with at least 2 sizes smaller. Then you drill with the size you want. Sort of a reaming operation with a drill. That will still leave you slightly oversize - a 1/8" drill will make about a .127 to .129 hole - but it should be straighter and smoother.

I use the rule of thumb that a drill size leaves a running fit hole. If you want a press fit, you go one size smaller. I rarely use reamers except on bores where I need a smooth hole.
Homier Speedway 7x14 lathe
Grizzly G8689 Mini Mill
HF 4x6 Bandsaw, bench grinder and more
Years of experience wrecking things
rleete

Postby ScrapMetal » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:02 pm

What sucks is that I have a Drill Doctor. I just didn't think to use it on new bits.

They were center-punched but I'm thinking that the points and cutting surfaces were just buggered. I had to apply so much pressure just to get it to start cutting that I could see the bit distorting. I did try to hand lap the bit with a set of diamond stones that I had handy (Drill Doctor was back home, not in my shop. :cry: ) and that marginally improved the initial cut.

I think it will still work out okay as long as the piston pins aren't undersized and I don't believe they will be.

I'd like to add that if you guys want, feel free to contact David U. and JGedde and let them know they are needed. I haven't been getting any response to my e-mails from them and don't know if they are even getting them.

Thanks,

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby Turbinedoctor » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:17 pm

I just sent both of them a email to the addresses that I have, asking them to stop by.
Durwood
Turbinedoctor

Postby ScrapMetal » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:26 am

Thanks Durwood.

Oh, and Rleete - I left out that I was using a #31 drill bit as my target size was 0.125". With these bits if I had tried to use anything smaller I have no doubt that they would have shattered just as my tiny (and crappy) center drill did on the first try. :| In general, it was not my day. ;)

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby Turbinedoctor » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:17 am

So far I have had good luck with my small cheap bits until I started on my Mill DRO project. It appears that these small bits don't like a lot of cast iron drilling and snap under the load. Lost two during the project. I am thinking as they break I will try to replace them with better (more expensive) bits.
Durwood
Turbinedoctor

Postby ScrapMetal » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:54 pm

Turbinedoctor wrote:So far I have had good luck with my small cheap bits until I started on my Mill DRO project. It appears that these small bits don't like a lot of cast iron drilling and snap under the load. Lost two during the project. I am thinking as they break I will try to replace them with better (more expensive) bits.

That's exactly as I plan to do. :)

Hey, I see that JGedde has joined us. Very cool! One to go... 8-)

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby Turbinedoctor » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:56 pm

Maybe I don't have his correct email address any more since I did not get a reply, but at least he is here.
Durwood
Turbinedoctor

Postby ScrapMetal » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:40 pm

Turbinedoctor wrote:Maybe I don't have his correct email address any more since I did not get a reply, but at least he is here.

I figured that he heard from you! Maybe his answer was just signing up. ;)

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby jgedde » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:38 pm

Hello all. There has been some difficulty in reaching me, but I'm here and still interested in completing the build. As I'm sure you're all aware, the flywheels have been complotyed for some time and are ready to go...

John
jgedde

Postby ScrapMetal » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:12 pm

Good to see you here John. As far as I know all the parts are pretty much done. We are just waiting for David U. to come on board so we can get this rolling.

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to SOSE Build progress