Where are we at?

Re: Where are we at?

Postby pjf134 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:50 am

Ron,
The original plan was to keep one of the part(s) you are making and send the rest to David U. and he would send out a complete set of everything less your part(s). Better check with David U. to see if he is still willing to do this.
Paul
pjf134

Postby ScrapMetal » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:35 pm

I thought that David was just fitting the pistons to the cylinders and would send off seven of the sets once fitted.

I sent a message to both David U. and JGedde last night so that we can get them on here and all be on the same page. (Seems I'm using that phrase a lot lately. ;) )

Thinking about it a bit, it would make sense to send all the parts to one member and have him send out seven complete sets. That would keep the total number of shipments to a minimum but we'd need to find a way to compensate that "central" member for his extra shipping costs.

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby pjf134 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:54 pm

Ron,
David come up with that idea at the beginning and said he would work out a price to send him for shipping since he was going to have some of the parts anyway. It does make sense to do it that way, it would make sure everything is close to fitting right, just in case something was wrong and later having to send out replacement parts to 7 people. See if David is still willing to do it that way.
Paul
pjf134

Postby ScrapMetal » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:21 pm

Makes sense. As usual I must have missed the memo on that. :oops: :D I'm hoping David is still with us on the build. If I don't hear from him in another day or so I'll try and get another message out to him as well as JGedde.

I've got an afternoon open on Sunday, plan on getting the rest of the crank discs done. Barring any unforeseen circumstances I'll post a pic of them.

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby pjf134 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:47 pm

Ron,
David is a director at a college in N.J. and maybe they are on break, but I do have his cell no. if it comes down to that. I think his e-mail is from there too, not sure though. He might be busy with college since I did not see any posts on other forums for awhile from him.
Paul
pjf134

Postby pjf134 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:33 pm

Ron,
I did find a post from David from the start of the project.

David Utidjian

Guest Re: SOSE group build- parts allocation
I will do the cylinders and end caps.
I can cut the stock to length and end caps while waiting on the pistons from 4R8.

Since I won't be making the pivot pins, will that be Paul (pjf134)? If so will you be making them with a 6-32 thread on the end that screws in to the cylinder wall?

As far as the end caps are concerned... alternatively the cylinders could be made closed at the top end. No need for end caps. Just a thought.

I like the idea of the flywheel (especially the flywheel) having a finished and reamed bore (0.2490 is fine) It will be a lot easier to fit up an accurately made axle to that than have to mount the flywheel on a totally different machine and true it up and then bore it out for the press fit.

Since I will have both the cylinders and pistons at some point I suppose I should volunteer to be "the distributor." So as each set of parts gets finished they can be sent to me. Once all parts are in I will make up a kit of parts and then send a complete kit to each member.

-DU-

Paul
pjf134

Postby ScrapMetal » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:15 am

Nice one Paul. Got him with his own words, he'll have to do it. :P Just kidding, I'm not real worried about David. He seems like a pretty decent kind of guy. No telling what he may be tied up with at the moment, couple of weeks in to a new semester(maybe?).

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby B34VD » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:44 am

4R8 wrote:G'day guys,

I have some bad news for the build. I'm going to have to pull out, I'm simply not going to have time to complete the pistons for a few months.

I feel really bad about this but I'm left no choice. I've taken a promotion at work and will be travelling alot for a while before things settle down again. :cry:

I'm happy to ship the pistons as they are (I think it was to Dave who was going to do the cylinders) and expect no parts in return. They are complete minus the hole for the crank pin.

I'm home again in a weeks time and will get them on their way.

Hopefully I haven't burnt the community here, I'd like the opportunity to join a build when things calm down. I feel terrible

Congrats on the promotion. I agree with Scrapmetal, no reason to drop out. Send the pistons on I'm sure we all can individualy finish the connecting rod hole.
B34VD

Postby 4R8 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:33 am

Thanks guys, it means a lot!

I've been trying to get this position for a while, I can finally make a few changes and implement some new ways of thinking. To do so though is going to be a lot of work. The end result however will make my particular workplace alot safer and much more enjoyable.

Providing i don't get any bad weather over the next two days, I'll be home Wednesday arvo and aim to send out the pistons by friday (it's Monday @ 2100hrs here now and I've just finished work, started at 0530hrs).
David had sent me his address, either by PM or on the HM build thread, either way, I cannot access it. Do you have it Ron?

Thanks again guys!
4R8

Postby Turbinedoctor » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:45 am

I think it only makes sense that you stay in the build. You have been a loyal supporter and I feel you are entitled to a completed project too.

Also congrats on the premotion.

Durwood
Durwood
Turbinedoctor

PreviousNext

Return to SOSE Build progress