Where are we at?

Re: Where are we at?

Postby ScrapMetal » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:58 am

4R8 wrote:Excellent, glad they got there!

Just noticed I didn't clean the little parting off dag from the end, bugger!
Let me know what they mic at for you. I recorded them somewhere but my mic is ooooold and the ratchet is no longer working, hoping I've been using the right pressure.

I'll let you know when I can get to it. Things have been a little "topsy-turvey" :crazy: around here the last few days.

4R8 wrote:Also, Pretty sure I put my return address on the rear of the bag, if you still have it

No problem! :thumbup: I saved the packing/addresses from everyone so I know where to ship back to.

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby rleete » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:22 am

Lathe is back together and working. However, the operator needs to learn to read his own prints before cutting. Made the first two endcaps, but made them too short (.09 overall instead of .13). Good thing I have plenty of stock available.
Homier Speedway 7x14 lathe
Grizzly G8689 Mini Mill
HF 4x6 Bandsaw, bench grinder and more
Years of experience wrecking things
rleete

Postby ScrapMetal » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:15 am

rleete wrote:Lathe is back together and working. However, the operator needs to learn to read his own prints before cutting. Made the first two endcaps, but made them too short (.09 overall instead of .13). Good thing I have plenty of stock available.

Have I told you about just how many "extra" crank discs I have now. I really did lose count at some point but I'm pretty sure the number is around 3 dozen or so - holes too big, disc too thin, etc. :wtf: :mrgreen:

Apparently I'm in good company anyway! :D

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby 4R8 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:26 am

Ron, how did the Pistons measure up? In 7 weeks, I have 9 weeks at home. Yep, 9 weeks. I'm expecting a child in the middle of them somewhere but there'll be plenty of machine time to be had if there are any that didn't pass the bar?

I've also got 3 weeks free coming up in 7days. looking forward to alot of relaxing for the rest of the year!

Jason
4R8

Postby ScrapMetal » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:23 pm

4R8 wrote:Ron, how did the Pistons measure up? In 7 weeks, I have 9 weeks at home. Yep, 9 weeks. I'm expecting a child in the middle of them somewhere but there'll be plenty of machine time to be had if there are any that didn't pass the bar?

I've also got 3 weeks free coming up in 7days. looking forward to alot of relaxing for the rest of the year!

Jason

"Relaxing"!? Hmmm, I don't think I'm familiar with that one, I'll have to Google it. ;) Good to hear you're getting a little down time and I'm sure you'll put it to good use.

I haven't measured the pistons out as of yet but that will be happening very shortly. I finally got around to re-aligning the drive pulleys on my SB this afternoon (lathe all buggered up from the mill install/moving around) and then turned some brass stock down to cylinder size:

Once I get the rest of the stock down to size and parted off I'll start looking at the pistons so that I'm sure the holes I'll be boring are under-size. With any luck it will be this weekend sometime.

As soon as I have something more I'll post it.

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby rleete » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:42 pm

I'm hot on your heels!

Brass bar was cut to size and polished. Holes were drilled, and pieces parted off. I still have to face to size and polish the top face on each. I hope to get them in the mail early next week.
Homier Speedway 7x14 lathe
Grizzly G8689 Mini Mill
HF 4x6 Bandsaw, bench grinder and more
Years of experience wrecking things
rleete

Postby ScrapMetal » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:00 pm

4R8 wrote:Ron, how did the Pistons measure up? In 7 weeks, I have 9 weeks at home. Yep, 9 weeks. I'm expecting a child in the middle of them somewhere but there'll be plenty of machine time to be had if there are any that didn't pass the bar?

Jason

Sorry it took so long to get back to this one Jason. As you've probably already heard, I ran in to a bit of computer trouble.... ;)

Measured all the pistons with my trusty digital micrometer and this is what I came up with on the seven pistons -

0.49535"
0.49570"
0.49595"
0.49700"
0.49715"
0.49745"
0.49760"

I'm not an expert on using a micrometer but these numbers should be in the ball park anyway. I'll be roughing out the cylinders and everyone will get a chance to fit their own piston to it. I just bought a new boring head that I plan to use on them but first I've got to figure out how to work it. :mrgreen: :roll:

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby 4R8 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:03 am

Thanks,
Not one for the inferial system, and damn new to machining, how does that fair with what was meant to happen? :think:

:thumbup: OR :thumbdwn: ?
4R8

Postby ScrapMetal » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:33 pm

4R8 wrote:Thanks,
Not one for the inferial system, and damn new to machining, how does that fair with what was meant to happen? :think:

:thumbup: OR :thumbdwn: ?

As I'm "new" as well it sounds pretty good to me. I'll have a better idea once I start boring the cylinders and see what kind of tolerances I hold. I know better than to go and measure the crank disks as I'm sure their thickness' have more variation than that.

So.... :thumbup:

-Ron :mrgreen:
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby ScrapMetal » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:10 pm

Well, I had a "DOH!" :slaphead: "moment" today. I made some time to get out in to the shop so I can start parting off the cylinders. I unlock the tool box and reach for my parting blade and come to the realization that since I've switched over to a BXA size post I would need to use the BXA cutoff tool. Now, I do have a BXA cutoff tool, the one that uses inserts. Unfortunately, all I have is the HSS "T" cutoff blades and no inserts. :oops!:

Needless to say, I took advantage of the "Back to school %20 off sale (that ends today) at Enco. I ordered both inserts and a #7 cutoff blade holder so I'll have both bases covered.

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to SOSE Build progress