Where are we at?

Re: Where are we at?

Postby ScrapMetal » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:39 pm

Hey Turbo,

Any one of the of the board members (build members who are signed up and a couple others) are able to post. You can check the members list to see which are active on here. We do need to get everyone on the same page so we can begin to send this stuff out. It's probably not the best idea to post our addresses on an open forum due to phishing bots, scammers and such. If we can get the entire build crew signed up on here each member can send one PM that will go out to the entire group. That's kind of what I had in mind but I'm more than open to suggestions. ;)

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby Turbinedoctor » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:40 pm

The idea of sending you our addresses and having you distrubte them sound good. I will check the members list to see who is lurking around.

Durwood
Durwood
Turbinedoctor

Postby B34VD » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:41 am

Just checking in here. The base plates are done, oiled & wrapped ready for shipping. How is everyone doing these day?
B34VD

Postby ScrapMetal » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Good to see you back. It looks like we are about ready to start shipping things once we get everyone on the same page. You wouldn't happen to have any pics to share? I am pretty sure I've got the "attachment" thing working properly now..

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby ScrapMetal » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:01 pm

Well, I'm back from "vacation" (more tired than when I left ;) ) and I actually got some work done on the crank discs, learning some things in the process. Let's see, learning - making tiny holes with a boring bar is not for the faint of heart. :?

I was able to get hold of a couple tiny boring bars capable of making holes < .25". I drilled out the center of the disc material (I decided to re-do them as the first run wasn't to my liking) and set up for the boring. The little borer worked slick as all get out the only problem being that I took off a wee too much, crap! Okay, part off a half inch of stock and start over...

Tried using a thinner cut-off blade but the results were less than positive. I ended up with a heavily concave surface on the end of the stock. :( I am not sure what the cause was as of yet. I thought I had it square to the work but could have flubbed it. I'm thinking that I may have "warped" the cutting blade a bit by over tightening the holder but that is speculation as well. At that point I faced the stock that is in the chuck and walked away. Figure I'll take a fresh look at it this afternoon after I clear up a few things at the office and shake some of the cobwebs out of my head. ;)

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby Turbinedoctor » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:44 pm

Welcome back. I tell my wife when we are on our way home from vacations that I cant wait to get back to work so I can get some rest. :lol:

Congrats on finding the small boring bars and learning a few new things. Finding that there is still more to learn helps keep me humble.

Durwood
Durwood
Turbinedoctor

Postby 4R8 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:57 am

G'day guys,

I have some bad news for the build. I'm going to have to pull out, I'm simply not going to have time to complete the pistons for a few months.

I feel really bad about this but I'm left no choice. I've taken a promotion at work and will be travelling alot for a while before things settle down again. :cry:

I'm happy to ship the pistons as they are (I think it was to Dave who was going to do the cylinders) and expect no parts in return. They are complete minus the hole for the crank pin.

I'm home again in a weeks time and will get them on their way.

Hopefully I haven't burnt the community here, I'd like the opportunity to join a build when things calm down. I feel terrible
4R8

Postby ScrapMetal » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:14 am

Sorry to hear that (Actually it sounds like a good thing, Congrats on the promotion!) but, speaking for myself, I see no reason why you should be "out" of the build due to this. The pistons were looking great and as long as you are able to get them out to Dave for fitting, I'm pretty sure that we can drill out the holes for the crank pins individually. I'd still like to see you get the rest of the parts so you can finish up the build when you find the time.

What do the rest of you guys say?

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby pjf134 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:23 am

I agree with Ron, either David U. can drill the holes at fitting or we can do our own, no problem here.
Paul
pjf134

Postby ScrapMetal » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:05 pm

I've been thinking (dangerous, I know ;) ) about how to reduce our total shipping costs for all this as well Once David has the pistons fitted he, and the rest of you, can send two of each component to me and once I have two complete sets I'll ship one set back down to 4R8. That will have to be cheaper, as a whole, than having seven different shipments going "down under".

Now, do we have any other international shipping issues? Canada, Europe or South Africa? Could be time to try and round up the other build members and get them over here so we can get this figured out. :idea:

I spent this morning in the "cave"/shop and now have five of the crank discs ready to be drilled for the connecting rod pins. I'm hoping to get some solid time in there over this weekend and have them ready to ship out on Monday. That is if I don't find some new and creative way to screw something up. ;) I have discovered a definite talent for that - the things you learn with a lathe... :roll: :D

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to SOSE Build progress