Where are we at?

Re: Where are we at?

Postby ScrapMetal » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:51 pm

Okay guys, we are actually a bit closer to completion!!! I reset the mill today and bored out the cylinders. :o It's not quite a "Christmas miracle" but it may come darn close. ;) All the cylinders are a RCH short of allowing the pistons to slide in. (Have I mentioned that I truly love my boring head? :mrgreen: ) I'm planning on leaving the final drilling to each of you as it will be easier to match it to the caps. Besides the holes for the caps there will be one blind hole for attaching the cylinder to the support and one through hole for intake/exhaust. Bottom line is, I've taken them as far as I'm going to (I'd really hate to screw something up at this point. :oops: )

Here they are...

The one without the piston goes to Jason who made the pistons and has his own. I marked them all with a Sharpie so that I don't have to try and sort them out again but it should come right off with a little alcohol or some such.

With any luck rleete can squeeze the caps in between "honey-dos" after he gets back from vacation.

Oh, and Mike? I did look back at the bearings you sent and there are six like I thought. If you have another one handy it'd be great if you could send one my way (I'll be the one "missing" one and I don't think I can do as nice of job on it as you did.)

Best regards,

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby B34VD » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:38 pm

Looking good. We'll be putting them together real soon. Hope everyone has a great holiday.
B34VD

Postby ScrapMetal » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:32 pm

B34VD wrote:Looking good. We'll be putting them together real soon. Hope everyone has a great holiday.

Holiday? Isn't the world supposed to end tomorrow??? ;) :lol:

Guess I'll have to finish my Christmas shopping now....

Thanks, I hope you and yours have a great Christmas/New Years as well.

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:01 pm

Ron, I should get the last bearing in the mail this weekend.
Mike
Hawkeye

Postby ScrapMetal » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:24 pm

Thanks Mike. There is little hurry so don't go out of your way to get it done. The wife is making me take a vacation and we'll be heading out on the 31st. I was hoping to get all the "kits" sent out before I left but I doubt rleete will have the time to get the caps done due to the craziness of the season.

Above all else, have a Merry Christmas!

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby Hawkeye » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:04 pm

I got the bearing into the mail today. You should have it later next week.

Have a great vacation. I'm taking my first paid vacation in 11 years. I'm going ... downstairs to work on my CNC project. :clap:
Mike
Hawkeye

Postby ScrapMetal » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:35 pm

Thanks again Mike,

I wish I was so lucky! My wife seems to think that a vacation means dragging me away from all my toys. :dntknow: I'd be perfectly happy just locking myself in the shop for a week with no distractions from my "day job".

I've got to keep in mind that it's for her and the kids though, or else I'd go nuts with nothing to do. :wtf:

On that note, ;) I hope everyone has a great Christmas and a safe and happy New Years!

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby pjf134 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:22 pm

Ron,
I hope you have a nice vacation. I will be going on vacation on Jan. 5 and won't be back till around the 14th so if you don't get the kits out by the time you go hold off on my set until I get back in the middle of Jan. When we get back my wife has jury duty for 2 weeks (maybe) for federal so maybe I can get some of my stuff done. She will miss most of Jan. from work if it goes thru and her boss is pissed as she does all the ordering for HVAC equipment for the distributor which does a million dollar a month in sales. I am retired so I can get a lot done with her gone for sure. I only have one Saturday gun safety class to teach for the club and the rest I am free.
Paul
pjf134

Postby ScrapMetal » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:13 pm

pjf134 wrote:Ron,
I hope you have a nice vacation. I will be going on vacation on Jan. 5 and won't be back till around the 14th so if you don't get the kits out by the time you go hold off on my set until I get back in the middle of Jan. When we get back my wife has jury duty for 2 weeks (maybe) for federal so maybe I can get some of my stuff done. She will miss most of Jan. from work if it goes thru and her boss is pissed as she does all the ordering for HVAC equipment for the distributor which does a million dollar a month in sales. I am retired so I can get a lot done with her gone for sure. I only have one Saturday gun safety class to teach for the club and the rest I am free.
Paul

Hope you have a good vacation Paul. I'm leaving (being dragged out) in the morning so there won't be anything happening at least 'til after I get back on the 8th or 9th. We are just waiting on rleete to get back in the swing of things and be able to finish the caps. I hope he's all right as we haven't seen a post from him in a while. :eh: Once I have the caps from him in hand I can send everything out.

Mike, thanks for getting me that last bearing. I actually got it back on Friday but my home computer decided it was time to give up the ghost. After a couple of days trying to bring it back to life I decided it was just time to put it down. :-| Can't start ordering new computer gear until I'll be home to get it which is driving me a bit batty on top of things. (Granted, I may not have far to go... ;) )

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and want to wish you all a Happy New Year! Everyone be safe out there!

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby rleete » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:08 am

Just a quick update:

Got back from vacation, which was fantastic. Disney really makes things go smoothly. Highly recommended, even without kids. My son (8) enjoyed it immensely.
Holidays were hectic, as usual. Nothing new there.

Yesterday, I was bitten by a cat. One second I was petting it, the next he was trying to eat my hand.
No, I'm not that guy who was attacked by a bobcat, thankfully. Just a simple bite.
He is a neighborhood feline, but I don't know who owns it.
As a result, I need to be treated for rabies. Lots of shots, but it's necessary.
Rabies is fatal, so it's a chance I'm not willing to take.

To top is off, my computer seems to have gotten a trojan. Firewall is off and can't be turned on.
I also messed up my MSE install trying to correct it, so it's wide open. Not good.
Since the rig is old & slow (like me!), it's time for another system.
At least mine hasn't died completely, so I can use it to shop for a new one.

Shop time over the past month has been non-existant.
I'll do my best to get back down there and get these parts finished.
Thanks for everyone's patience.
Homier Speedway 7x14 lathe
Grizzly G8689 Mini Mill
HF 4x6 Bandsaw, bench grinder and more
Years of experience wrecking things
rleete

PreviousNext

Return to SOSE Build progress