Where are we at?

Re: Where are we at?

Postby pjf134 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:17 pm

Ron,
Get well soon and don't worry about the build, it's been going on now for about a year so a little extra time won't hurt any.
Paul
pjf134

Postby 4R8 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:13 pm

G'day Bloke,

Hope you get some form of relief or plan soon!
As the others have said, health first, build last. Don't continue until until you've recovered.

I've been a bit absent from the forums of late, barely touching a computer for non work related use. Kinda got sick of looking at a screen.

I'm currently in my 2nd week of 9 weeks off and can announce I now have a perfectly healthy baby boy Luka born at 9lbs 2ozs
His brother (3.5yrs) has welcomed him well and more than happy to help out wherever he can.
4R8

Postby ScrapMetal » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:11 am

4R8, That's great to hear - congratulations to you and your "better half" on your new son!

Thanks for thoughts guys. I had intentions of getting to the shop and actually doing something but it never came to be. It's killing me to not be able to do anything though and I am quickly going stir crazy. I now have a pre-op physical set for Monday afternoon and barring any unexpected findings (I am actually in pretty good health, physically anyway. :mrgreen: ), have surgery scheduled for either Tuesday or Wednesday. I don't keep real good track of time but I'm confident the wife will let me know when it is. ;)

The prospect of being in a hospital for a couple of days bothers me almost as much as the pain I'm currently dealing with though. Can't say that I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks again guys,

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby Turbinedoctor » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:51 am

4R8 congrats on the new born, hurry up and get him into the shop.

Ron sorry to read about you pain in the neck, I also have a hurnatied disc which acts up from time to time but no knives are required. Dont worry about the build, just get well and take care.

Durwood
Durwood
Turbinedoctor

Postby ScrapMetal » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:42 pm

Hey guys! I made it through the knives now I'm working my way back in to the "living" world. They tell me that it all went well and things do seem better. Still have a bit of recovering to do but at least things are headed in the right direction.

I'm "planning" on getting back to work on the cylinders by or on the weekend (as long as my wife doesn't catch wind of it :mrgreen: ).

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:24 pm

If the shop work doesn't kill you, the wife will.

Glad you're moving ahead, Ron. Waiting has to be the worst part.
Mike
Hawkeye

Postby ScrapMetal » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:05 pm

Hawkeye wrote:If the shop work doesn't kill you, the wife will.

Glad you're moving ahead, Ron. Waiting has to be the worst part.

That's for sure. I've read a dozen books in the last week and a half but not being able to "DO" anything is making me a bit batty.

At least I got out to the shop for a few minutes today and took apart the power feed on the mill's x-axis. The pre-load on the gear isn't set properly so I had to get some measurements off the shims in order to get the right size. At least McMaster-Carr sees me as being "active". :mrgreen:

I don't know just how long I'm supposed to "take it easy" (I never read the instructions the doc sent home with me but the wife says I'm not supposed to lift anything more than 5 lbs.) but I will be getting something done in the shop. Once I get the shims I can put the x-axis back together and I will get back to working.

Thanks,

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby rleete » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:10 am

ScrapMetal wrote: but not being able to "DO" anything is making me a bit batty.

You mean moreso than usual, right?
Homier Speedway 7x14 lathe
Grizzly G8689 Mini Mill
HF 4x6 Bandsaw, bench grinder and more
Years of experience wrecking things
rleete

Postby ScrapMetal » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:40 pm

rleete wrote:
ScrapMetal wrote: but not being able to "DO" anything is making me a bit batty.

You mean moreso than usual, right?

"Et tu, Brute?" :tomatoes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know I've been "dead in the water" (more than usual ;) ) but, (you were asking for this... ;) ) have you had a chance to make any progress on the caps? :interest:

As expected, I got my shims as well as a nice little carbide spotting drill from McMaster-Carr last night so I should be back at it very shortly. Once I get everything setup/fixtured the way I want it the whole job should go done very quickly (I'm probably jinxing myself. "The best laid plans of mice and men...").

-Ron
Wells-Index 860 Mill
South Bend 11" Lathe
Queen City Shaper
ScrapMetal
Site Admin

Postby rleete » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:59 am

Haven't done a thing. They sit on my workbench, mocking me.
I think I'm going to skip the polishing part. That should help, if I don't feel it's such a chore to make them. Polishing is fuss work.

I have to fix the wife's Tracker tonight/tomorrow (replace starter), and get the Miata put away for the winter. Oh, and prime the living room wall. Then I'm free and clear for a while.
Homier Speedway 7x14 lathe
Grizzly G8689 Mini Mill
HF 4x6 Bandsaw, bench grinder and more
Years of experience wrecking things
rleete

PreviousNext

Return to SOSE Build progress